Sunday, December 27, 2009

Upcoming Blog Topics

The original purpose of this blog, which still mainly holds true, is to write down things that are on my mind in order to keep me from lying awake at night endlessly pondering. In keeping with that, I am just going to jot down some things swirling in my head that I would like to expand upon in the coming days.

- My occasional reluctance to pray for forgiveness immediately after sinning as if I am not worthy at that moment to seek God's grace after choosing something else over Him. God had something to say to me about that and one of Matt's sermons that I heard tonight brought it back up. As if God who saved us while we were still His enemies can't stand our failings now that He is married to us.

- The difference between knowing about God and knowing God and the implications for how we deal with life's punches and our eternal destination. How were you saved? The Holy Spirit capturing your heart or reciting a sinner's prayer and having very little else change in your life?

- Should I have written in a prior blog that Obama is evil? What is evil? What is the difference between a good person and an evil person? Is there a distinction like that apart from Christ? Maybe we should be careful of how we throw the word "evil" around since we are called to see everyone with the same unsurpassable worth that Christ sees them.

- I want to write a blog on the songs that I associate with different times in my life. It's interesting how strongly music can trigger memories.

- Heard a couple of good sermons recently that warned of false teachers from within the church - Acts 20:30, 2 Peter 3:16, the beginning of 2 Timothy 4. Worth delving into a bit.

- Then the other convicting teaching today which I did mention recently...namely, not relying on the teaching of others to know Christ but spending ample time in word, prayer and reflection with just myself and God in order that I may know Him personally and intimately. Part of that is done here as this blog is almost becoming a spiritual journal in some ways although the most private issues will go in an offline notebook. I have ordered up the ESV Study Bible and am planning to go through it all in 2010. That would definitely mean ample time with God and lessen my reliance to some degree on teaching from guys like Piper and Chandler...though I certainly want to keep them as a supplement.

No comments: