Friday, January 1, 2010

Out With The Old...

I don't think there is a lot to say about 2009. My life didn't have any dramatic changes. The professional challenges that went with enduring the end of the worst market decline since the Great Depression and the subsequent setbacks to our small firm were met about as well as could be expected. My personal account was up 140% this year, which sounds really good, until one realizes that I was up 200% at the end of September and found a way to lose money each of the last 3 months of the year. My motto of "Finish Strong" which I first learned in high school cross country, and which translates nicely into my faith walk, was not experienced in my trading. 2010's goal is to be up 200%.

I had echoes of my original Mt. Calvary spiritual upheaval with my involvement in their Evangelism team early this year. Fortunately, another round of active interference and seeming indifference (one would think they would be mutually exclusive) from the pastor did not hurt my relationship with God. In fact, as I write this, I don't think my faith and my thirst for God has ever been stronger. It's nice to know that my sanctification is moving in the right direction as that has certainly not always been the case.

I think I have had a positive impact for Christ in more people's lives in 2009 than ever before. I am thankful for those opportunities and for finding my meaning and purpose in those moments. There is a lot more to do in that area and I think God will provide all I can handle in 2010.

I've got 4 goals written down for 2010. One was mentioned above. Others include reading the Bible cover to cover as I now have my new ESV Study Bible. I also have a physical fitness goal and am going to make a concerted effort to learn to play the guitar this year. I definitely want to keep simplifying my life and devoting my energy to those things that are truly meaningful. So far, I am off to a good start. Just 364 days to go.

As far as being 37 and single, I really just rest on a song that I sang as a young lad in our Midweek church choir practice:

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
And His righteousness
And all these things shall be added unto you
Allelu, Alleluia

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”- 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments: