Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Sin Isn't Very Original

Thinking about this today...

"At the heart of sin is the feeling that God's commands are a burden rather than a blessing."

"Could it be that his glory and our well-being really are part of the same script?"

The oldest lie is that we can become God...and that we deserve to be like God. All of us are susceptible to the desire of being our own God. But why? For me, I guess it's still a belief that I know myself better than anyone else so I know what is best for me better than anyone else. Obviously untrue since the Creator knows his creation intimately. However, maybe there is a sense that God isn't as familiar with me now as He was on the day I was born. A lot has happened...a lot has changed. Do I truly believe He has been paying attention every second along the way?

Maybe it's also a sense that I just don't need any more authority figures in my life. Look at all the people/institutions in our lives that give us direction which we must follow or face consequences. Parents, teachers, coaches, government, bosses, etc. I get to the point of just saying, "OK, enough. I got it. Let me do it." The prideful part of me has the same attitude as when I was 2. "Thanks but I can do it on my own. I don't want your help because I know I can handle it." A necessary attitude at points in our temporal life. A dangerous attitude at every point in our spiritual life.

The follow up to that is the thought that this is my life. Sheesh, I only get one life here so just let me live it Lord. You get me for eternity so can I please be in charge of this brief window of earthly existence? I mean...does it always have to be about YOU??? I fall into the trap of thinking that doing everything for the glory of God is somehow mutually exclusive to my happiness and fulfillment. It's the same lie that says obeying God's commands is going to rob me of the enjoyment of the things I really like doing on a daily basis. Nevermind the fact that God is much more interested in my ultimate joy than I am and that He knows infinitely better how to go about producing true joy and satisfaction in my life based on things that truly matter.

Adam and Eve fell for Satan's lie that becoming like God was justifiable and advantageous. We fall for the same lie every single day.

I still act like I'm 2.

No comments: