Saturday, May 30, 2009

First Round of the Year

I told myself that I was going to play more golf this year than the 2 rounds I managed last year. I know I will exceed that amount but I certainly don't feel the need to play every weekend. Part of it is a money thing and part of it is wanting to be capable in the game but just not having a burning passion to really get a lot better. Every time I play someone says, "You know, if you played more you would be really good." That's all I really need right there. Sometimes just knowing that you CAN do something is more important than actually doing it.

So, I played at one of my favorite area courses today - Gateway National - home of last year's fantasy football weekend tournament. It was raining as we drove out there but once we got to the course it never rained again. The sun came out about halfway through the front 9 and it turned out to be a gorgeous day. The course was very soggy in most places so that was definitely an added challenge. This was also the first time this year that I had even swung a club so being able to go to the practice range before we played was very helpful in working out a couple kinks.

I started out with a great drive on the first hole which really helps take care of the jitters - especially when you are playing with a co-worker who is probably 10 strokes better than me on an average day and his ex-Marine buddy who can also play. I ended up with a double bogey on the first hole but didn't have a score higher than 6 on the front 9. Consistency like that after not playing for 8 or 9 months is a good feeling. Best shots of the day came on 16 and 17. I drove the ball into the upslope of a grass bunker and had a side/uphill lie with a very awkward stance. The green was 150 yards away with a huge lake to the left. I made much better contact with the ball than I expected and landed on the green, but of course I three-putted for a bogey. The 17th was a 165-yard par 3. I took a 6-iron and landed it within 10 feet of the cup which I promptly made for my one birdie on the day. Overall, I shot 46-47 which I will definitely take for the first round of the year. The 67-year old ex-Marine shot an 84. If I can be anywhere close to that in 31 years I will be a very happy guy.

No comments: