Friday, September 3, 2010

Follow Up to 8/22 Post

I have had a couple inquiries as to what I was referencing with the verses from 2 Corinthians and my commentary that I was really feeling them after the proceedings from the night before. So, I shall explain further.

August 21st was the evening of the annual MindShare BBQ party. Almost immediately after John (who is in my Bible Study) and his wife left, the conversation turned to religion. The 3 principals of our firm - Scott, Andy and Steve - are all Jewish. My understanding from several years ago of what it meant to be Jewish included the idea that you had some sort of geneaology that took you back to Israel and that you actively practiced Judaism. I have since realized from these guys that the ancestral part of being a Jew is the primary standard whereas a strong belief and following of Judaism varies greatly. Not unlike someone who claims to be Christian simply because they grew up in a home with parents who called themselves Christian.

So these guys don't take their Judaism too seriously and that is how the conversation got started. Andy was talking to Steve about what it meant to be a good Jew while fully admitting that he wouldn't be considered a "good Jew" either. It would include things like regularly attending synagogue, following all of the customs and observances and believing and studying the Torah. Each of these guys observe some of the Jewish holidays and see the inside of a synagogue a couple times a year. Their belief regarding the validity of the Torah as God's Word varies widely. Steve took objection to the fact that someone else could judge him to be or not to be a "good Jew" based on the criteria laid out. Sound familiar? Plenty of Christians are offended that someone would call their Christianity into question just because they only believe certain parts of the Bible or rarely pray or attend church. So, I was just sitting back and listening...actually enjoying the chance to hear them share their thoughts without having to be in the middle of it.

Well, that didn't last for long. My belief in Jesus Christ is well known among the group and I am proud of that. Many years ago I sat with Scott and his wife in their home and gave a clear Gospel presentation which probably lasted 3 hours or so. Even though there was no immediate heart transformation they were interested enough to ask genuine questions. That isn't how this conversation went. In fact, it became very clear that the core of Scott and Steve's belief system is that they can't really believe anything because no one really knows. There is no absolute truth. I think we have all heard this before. It is a "belief system" that basically allows you to live your life in whatever way you want. If you say it is impossible to know whether or not God is real, then there is no higher authority to which you must submit and you become your own God by default.

So, Steve was taking exception with the idea that there should be rules he must follow to be a good Jew and brought me into the conversation by saying, "Well, Chris also believes that there are rules he must follow but they are different than yours, Andy. So, you both can't be right, which means no one really knows, so it makes no sense that I should have to live a certain way because no one can really know what that way is." At this point, I am still just listening but waiting to respond as I see Steve going down the path of relativism.

I then took the opportunity to talk about the fact that there is absolute truth and that the most rigorous intellectual conclusion is that a God and Creator exist rather than the notion that to be intellectual is to believe in nothing. I offered some ways to prove the validity of the Bible - numerous prophecies that all came true or David describing crucifixion in Psalm 22 around 1000 BC when it wouldn't even come into existence for another four centuries. I also talked about how evolution doesn't make any intellectual sense - the ideas that matter can come from nothing and that life can come from what is not alive have never been shown to be scientifically possible - regardless of how hard scientists may try. But what I quickly learned is that there would be no thought given to anything I had to say. The mantra of "we can't know anything" was such a dominant wall to Scott and Steve that everything I said was met with immediate disregard. They were even questioning that Jews were ever in Egypt and that King David actually existed, which is when I knew for sure that there was no point in going on. Hence, 2 Corinthians 4:

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

This went on for a couple hours and left me very frustrated and discouraged. Andy, to his credit, was at least listening to what I had to say and announced to Scott and Steve more than once that I had done A LOT more studying on these topics than they had so for them to just summarily dismiss everything I said was out of line. I find that to be the most interesting part. Although both Scott and Steve can be very closed-minded and stubborn, on a variety of subjects, they are both bright individuals who usually prefer to know more about something than less. Yet, in this case, they both seem more than willing to remain ignorant on these matters, preferring to choose to know less than more. I think that once you have built the foundation of your life on a certain belief system you are very reluctant to make a change halfway through for fear of having to admit that the way you have been thinking and living all this time has been wrong. It is much easier to stay on the wrong path. That is where my sadness comes into play.

I know I don't have the power to convert anyone. But these are my friends. These are people I care about. I can't even get them to open their mind one inch to contemplate that there might be something real and tangible that they can grasp. I feel quite hopeless in being able to help divert their path from eternal destruction.

Importantly, after the conversation had subsided with Steve feeling like he had won because I was unable to offer a logical explanation of how God came to be, his wife pulled up a chair next to me. She asked me 2 questions. The first, "Do you believe that I am going to hell?" I remember Pastor Zimmerman telling me that people always wanted to make this question personal and I recalled at the time thinking, "Well, why wouldn't they?" So, I answered honestly that Jesus Christ was God's plan from the beginning to reconcile us back to Himself. There is no other way. So, if you don't place your faith in Christ, then yes, you will be eternally separated from God. Her second question was the one I wanted to hear. "So how does it make you feel that people you care about are going to hell?" I looked her in the eyes and quietly said, "It breaks my heart." I made the analogy that if Scott's pool was filled with acid and I knew it, what kind of friend would I be if I just let them all jump in thinking it was filled with water? I love each and every one of them so I have no other choice but to show my love by sharing what I believe to be true.

That was the most important point I got across that night. My desire is not to show how much I know or to have a battle of intellect or wit. It certainly isn't about feeling superior in any way (quite the opposite in fact) and it isn't about disrespecting anyone else's beliefs. My only desire is to share the Gospel with anyone and everyone, and how much more so, with those people that I call my friends. I just want them to know how much God loves them and what He has done for them and how the Scriptures attest to these truths and give us more to go on than just blind faith.

God led me to send her a message the next day, basically stating what I just wrote. She replied that she believed in God because she chose to but didn't really know God. She prays to a God because it makes her feel good. It brings her comfort. But there is no relationship...no knowledge of who she is praying to. She went to church as a kid and stated that she got tired of having Jesus forced down her throat. She converted to Judaism when she got married but it's clear that she has never really affiliated herself with either being a Christian or a Jew. She did say that she would write back with questions at some point. I haven't heard from her yet but hope to soon. I do believe God was working that night. Even though my sadness remains there may be an inkling of hope here that I pray God will ignite for His glory.

No comments: