Sunday, April 4, 2010

He is Alive!!!

I am watching one of the 6 Easter services today from Mars Hill Church in Seattle. It is being streamed live online. Awesome. For my money, God doesn't present the Gospel any more passionately or convincingly than He does through Mark Driscoll. He recently visited the Holy Land and came back with some really amazing video, including of Golgotha, which is very rare as sight lines are obstructed making good picture/video almost impossible. But they were able to get permission from a Muslim owner of a bank (which no one else has been able to get) to get up on the roof and shoot video. So humbling to gaze upon the ground where the cross of Christ rested.

Right now, at the end of the service, baptisms are being conducted. In all my years in church, I don't know that I have ever witnessed someone giving their life to Jesus in the service itself. It may have happened without me being aware. I don't remember any services where the pastor gave an altar call at the end. Promise Keepers, yes. Billy Graham specials...yes. My Sunday morning church experiences...no. That is a shame.

I am watching one adult baptism after another and it is the most glorious thing. Hundreds were baptized today at Mars Hill. The crowd cheers after every one. I have read multiple times about people being on a conveyor belt to hell. Now I get to see a conveyor belt to heaven. It brings tears to my eyes.

Some very good teaching from Mark today. A couple points that really stood out. We substituted ourselves for God in the Garden and He substituted Himself for us on the cross. Never heard it put that way before but it is very compelling. Also, the pain and torment of the cross is so intense that a word was created specifically to capture it. That is where the word excruciating comes from. I looked it up. It's true. I never knew. But that will become part of my Gospel presentation.

Father, complete the good work you have started in these men and women. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it in some small way.

No comments: